YEGLove: International Women's Day
SUPPORTING OUR LOCAL WOMEN.
One step at a time...
STEP 1 - RAISE AWARENESS AND SUPPORT LOCAL WOMEN
"In the future, there will be no female leaders. There will just be leaders." - Sheryl Sandberg
And what better way to raise awareness than to celebrate local women through a female owned (or co-owned) business in YEG! Not sure where to start? Do not worrrrry…. we’ve got you covered!
Below you’ll find everything you need to plan the perfect day! Got the little ones?! Even better! Spend this day with your kids and teach them all about the amazing local women out there and the importance of minimizing gender bias in today’s world!
With Justine Ma Design
- “I believe in the power of love and kindness and that there is always a way to give back to others. I am committed to doing my part in building a community of inclusivity, equality and authenticity."
- Online: https://justinema.ca/
- Instagram: @justinemadesign
- With workshops currently closed, purchase an online kit instead!
Her Practice Love Bundle is just perfect, you can find it here!
photo cred: @justinemadesign
With Made Social
- “Inspired by knitting bees and sewing circles of the past, Made Social brings people together in a welcoming, creative community. Each workshop takes place in a stylized, social setting (yes, it’s a party!) and features a new modern craft project with everything you need to make your very own unique creation.”
- Online: https://www.madesocialco.com
- Instagram: @madesocialco
- With workshops currently closed, purchase a Made Social MINI craft kit instead!
photo cred: @madesocialco
Unite With Sweet Local Treats
Business: Bloom Cookie Co.
- “It started with a cookie sheet, a handwritten recipe card and a love of making treats for friends. The idea for Bloom grew from a warm house filled with friends and food. A desire to make food that included everyone, regardless of allergies or dietary restrictions.”
- Online: https://www.bloomcookieco.ca
- Instagram: @bloomcookieco
Business: Brown Butter Café
- “We both believe that food and drink is an essential part of everyone's life. Not only as a necessity to survive, it’s more than that. We believe that it is what brings people together, what opens them up.”
- Online: https://www.brownbuttercafe.com
- Instagram: @brownbuttercafe
Business: Confetti Sweets
- “Kathy Leskow was a stay-at-home mom looking for something to do. She didn’t know it would turn into a cookie empire.” - WELL, we approve fellow #YegMama - you’re the cookie BOSS!
- Online: https://www.confettisweets.ca
- Instagram: @confettisweets
Photo by @lexlink__
STEP 2: UNDERSTAND & PRACTICE SELF-LOVE
regard for one's own well-being and happiness (chiefly considered as a desirable rather than narcissistic characteristic).
What self-love looks like is as unique as each woman who practices it. What brings you joy; happiness or serenity might look completely different to you than it does to your bestie (and that’s ok)!
While you’re reflecting on how you practice self-love, we’ve compiled a list of some of our favorites to get you started! You can thank us later :)
Practices of Self-Love:
- Stop the comparisons – be yourself, everyone else is taken.
- The only opinion that matters – yours.
- Allow yourself to make mistakes – be bold and take that risk.
- Get rid of the toxic – this includes people.
- Be kind to yourself – embrace the perfectly imperfect. (and let us tell ya, the list ain’t short over here! ;))
- Hit the road alone – embrace your independence (travel map optional!)
- Digital detox – take a mental break and cut out the noise
- Get mindful – take the time to write, goal set & reflect
- Move – or better yet, go WILD (fresh air does wonders for the soul)
- Embrace fear –get out of your comfort zone and try for the uncomfortable
How to Practice Some Self Love, Locally!
- Location: Louise McKinney Park, 9735 Grierson Hill NW, Edmonton, AB
- Cost: snowshoe rental is $9/hr or $27/day with River Valley Adventure Co.
- Online: www.rivervalleyadventure.com/snowshoe-rentals
- “Built to promote the sport of ice climbing to the Edmonton Area and service existing local ice climbers.”
- Cost: $49 per person for an “Intro to Ice Climbing Course”
- Online: www.yegice.ca
Skating at Victoria Park IceWay
- “The Victoria Park IceWay is a skating trail wrapping through the majestic forests of Victoria Park offering visitors a magical and enchanted winter experience in the heart of downtown Edmonton.”
- Cost: FREEEE
- Online here
And just in case ya’ll are sick and tired of winter….. how about you….
Spend an afternoon at the Spa!!! Why not try Hot Stones Spa in Northwest YEG?
- “Hot Stones Spa is Edmonton's first and only European Style Sauna and ACTIVE Salt Room. We focus on providing a supportive environment for your wellness.”
- Cost: varies per service
- Online: www.hotstonesspa.ca
STEP 3: GENDER EQUALITY: TEACH THEM YOUNG
Mamas - let’s try to praise our littles and tell them they can do ANYTHING they put their mind to regardless of gender! Encourage fearlessness and independence in each and every task. And don’t forget to LOVE YOURSELF so that we can be strong, confident and positive role models for our mini-mes.